Calling all baristas. Origin is looking for ambitious, passionate individuals for The Warehouse, Penryn and The Roastery Café, Porthleven.
If you have just moved to Cornwall to start or continue your studies and are looking to be part of our fab team, then please get in touch. We’re looking for ambitious, like-minded people to join us, train with us and should you then fancy a stint in London after your studies, we can support that too!
Origin Coffee identifies as one of the leading and most progressive speciality coffee roasters, recently voted as the top UK speciality roaster (top 3 in Europe) in Allegra’s 2019 Europe & Middle East Coffee Awards. Seasonality, sustainability, provenance, and traceability are at the heart of our supply chain. In addition to our independent coffee shops, our core business is wholesale coffee supply for leading coffee shops, hotels, and restaurants across the UK. Many of our customers who come in for their daily fix will talk about this; often they’ll have experienced Origin elsewhere too. We are the talking point, and all Origin employees drive our reputation. Our coffee shops translate, showcase, and demonstrate the direct work we do with our farm and mill partners direct to our customers, Origin is shaped by the desire to empower and enthuse people at every stage of their coffee journey and as a barista we empower you with the product, information, and knowledge for getting this out there too, on point and on brand.
You have previous experience of working in speciality coffee. You will be able to demonstrate how your proven experience of brewing coffee, preferably in a recognised café adds value to our coffee shops. Your knowledge of speciality coffee is great but you’re looking to broaden it and we’ve got the resource to do that with you. You are a real people person, a seamless communicator and passionate about our world. You’ll often be holding the fort and our customers are going to want to talk and learn from you, not just buy our coffee.
YOUR MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Deliver an informed, passionate, and enthusiastic approach to communicating speciality coffee to all customers
- Make recommendations based on customer preferences
- Prioritise and deliver exceptional customer service
- Understand the day-to-day operation and upkeep of all coffee machinery, including the ability to dial in; you will be working with La Marzocco espresso machines
- Contribute towards the recipe creation for single origin coffees; espresso, pour over and batch filter
- Develop and maintain excellent latte art skills
- Demonstrate outstanding filter knowledge and a range of brew techniques supported by an eye for detail, we want to see meticulous quality control
- Have a high level of cleanliness throughout service in all areas of the café, including the cleaning down of machines, working areas and public spaces
- Opening and closing duties for the café
- Represent the brand as an Origin ambassador; we’re industry leaders and you’re responsible for showing our customers what that looks like.
- A full-time or part-time, permanent contract paying the Real Living Wage
- SCA Coffee Diploma Education training
- Pension contribution following successful probation
- A fun working environment
- Career development – optimising learning and training opportunities led by you, especially if you are looking for more than a part time job to get your through your studies
- Origin is going places so you get to grow with us. This is an exciting stage of growth for us and if you’re the right person, it will be for you too.
THE BETTER THAN MOST BENEFITS
- Mental Health First Aid training
- Support with health, physical, mental, and financial wellness at work
- Commitment from us for your continued learning and development
- Increase in holiday allowance for longer length service
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free weekly coffee to take home and get you through those studies and morning afters
- Free coffee and hot drinks in any of our coffee shops
- 50% off all food and discounted alcohol
- Generous discount for friends and family in all our coffee shops
- Very generous discount off brewing equipment and like-minded brands and partner suppliers
- And of course, regular social team events serving exceptional food, drink, and of course, amazing coffee!
We invite applications from exceptional people who wish to join us, so, after your homework on Origin Coffee, please email your covering letter and one-page CV to Ellie Rowe, Head of People and Culture at [email protected] For your application to be considered, do include the job title in the subject line of your email. As you can imagine, we receive lots, so please make it easy for us to match you with our Barista positions in The Warehouse, The Harbour Head or The Roastery or a combination of all three.
Due to the volume of applications, please do make sure you go into detail as to why working for Origin Coffee will make a difference, not just to your life, but ours too. We are an ambitious company with an incredible team of people, so we need to know if you are going to join us, what you are going to bring to the team, more than just ‘do the job’.
START DATE – SEPTEMBER. Please note, as soon as we find the right person, we shall close the job down. If this is your next opportunity don’t hesitate in getting your application in. We can’t wait to hear from you!